Wednesday, October 14, 2015

"Johnny Mike Saved my Life"

The summers following graduation were spent in a party mode, at least every other evening. We would score some beer, head to the designated party site, including Little Harbor Road, Billing's cabin, Hinkson's cabin, Duck Inn, and Makel's cabin. This particular evening it was Anderson's cabin.

Johnny Mike, center on the championship Emerald football team, had his old Model A, and I was the passenger. We notified some of our friends that the party was at my cabin that night, and we got some beer to drink, and maybe enough to share as well. After three or four beers, we decided that no one else was going to show up. What should we do for entertainment?

I had a brain flash. “Moby,” (for that was his nickname), “I heard that Carol was dating one of the guys from Kentucky, who were staying at Carol's home. I also heard that they were planning to go skinny dipping at the 'Cope' tonight.”

Carol was one of the more beautiful girls in high school, so this was something to be checked out. Johnny Mike said, “What are we waiting for? Let's go!”

We jumped into the Model A. I assumed that Johnny Mike was the more sober of the two of us, but how could I tell? I was pretty drunk. We drove to the Cope bridge, and, sure enough, a boy and a girl were skinny dipping in the river. I jumped out of the car and ran to the river.

“Carol, I love you,” I shouted , as I waded into the river. All of a sudden, the current got me, and I was too drunk to swim. I panicked! I couldn't make my arms move, and my soaked clothes were taking me to the bottom!

Johnny Mike grabbed the back of my shirt and hauled me out of the river. He said, “I don't think that you should be doing that, Andy.”

I was forever grateful.

Post note: Many years later, I had occasion to check out this story with Carol. She says that she had not dated Tom from Kentucky, nor had she ever skinny dipped at the Cope. I'm not sure who that couple of skinny dippers were, but the girl was really beautiful that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment